DIY Paper Mache Wall Plates

This project has been one I have had at the back of my mind since years, but somehow could not get my hands into (quite literally)



When I was 7 or so, my mom and I had joined a summer craft class at Dilli Haat, New Delhi. We did a lot of very interesting projects that I remember so so vividly - and the fruit beer and chicken momos treat that followed was absolute bliss. I enjoyed it so much - that I always wanted to get back to all of those activities. Paper mache was one of them.

If you follow my instagram , you would know that I painted a wall at my home a deep Prussian Blue a few months back - and I have patiently waited and spent time deciding what I wanted on and around it. You can see what it looks like right here .


Freshly painted - the biggest DIY I have done till date!



After some thinking, I have chosen to do another small DIY - by making and painting complementary paper mache plates and hanging them on the adjacent wall.

I am half way through... it's monsoon here, and the paper mache is taking 2-3 days to dry - versus 24hours otherwise.


This was the process I followed after reading up and Youtubing a lot about the various techniques. There is clay mache, cardboard mache, wood mache... and several methods to go about doing the thing. But I kept it simple and very basic, also since I wanted a rugged, textured sort of an appeal to it. So I did not make the paper any finer.


Here's what I did...





Shred newspaper into pieces and throw it in to a bucket full of water. Leave it for 4-5hours.

Then start breaking it down up until it looks something like the image above - not super fine and even - nor too thick and pulpy. In case you want the pulp to be much finer - you can put this into the blender / mixey grinder for a bit at this stage.




Now squeeze the pulp and get all the water out of it - up until you have it damp, but not wet. This will take some time - you can do it in small batches.



Next, add in some Atta (wheat flour) / cornstarch flour, and a good enough amount of Fevicol. I added about 1/2 a cup of Fevicol into this. The addition of flour can make the paper mache more prone to catching mold, especially in humid / hot climates, such as where I reside. So I plan on varnishing the end product - that way it will remain protected from the humidity and dust - and I call always wet wipe the plates.

 Blend this mixture in well for about 2-3 minutes- till you feel the flour and glue are nicely and evenly mixed into the newspaper mash.

This mixture should be not too wet - and not too dry either - should be easily malleable. Something like a thick pulpy clay.



Now take a mould (plate / bowl - whichever shape you are looking at recreating) and dab the pulp mixture onto the mould. Please do remember to use cling film or even a regular plastic packet would work - between the mould and your paper mache layer - I had a hard time yanking the mache off the plate when it was dry.

Leave this to dry for 24 hours or a few days if you live in a humid place.






The plates looked like this once they were dry.

Some choose to use a primer before beginning to paint on these, but I personally like to skip that step due to laziness - and fortunately it's never really been a compromise of how well the metal / paper / wood catches the paint.


Now, my favourite part...... the painting.. ( I love intricate artwork and aztec / mandala doodling - which you may have figured by now from my blog name .. Lol )







I created some swatches on my notepad to get the combination right and see what I like.. You can choose to go with something modern / bolder / brighter / more or less intricate - as you wish!


I am using Fevicryl acrylic paint in the shade Prussian Blue. An all time favourite.





Here is what the final outcome was!




Comment below for queries / tips / ideas... 

Comments