Update; My Hair Journey & Products I used through the Lockdown

Hey you all!! I hope you are safe, stress-free and happy! 

It's been over a year since I started my hair care journey. Previously I had shared my experience with the No-Poo (No-Shampoo) method. You can read about that here. I have tried a few techniques and products through this 1 year. And this lockdown especially left me with the time and patience to understand what works well for my strands. 


My hairfall remained minimal even after these changes to my routine. And my strands got smoother and softer than the No Poo days.. I have also noticed my hair growth has accelerated majorly through the last 1 year, ever since I am doing what I will mention below through this article.. and lesser hair breakage after I quit using all those shampoos and conditioners loaded with harsh chemicals. 

*In the picture above, I am following the curly girl scrunching method, this isn't how curly my hair is otherwise. They are more towards the wavy side. 


So this is my hair update as of September 2020.

After almost 8months of being on the No Shampoo method and using only herbs to clean my hair, I did my bit of research on the curly girl method and how sulphate shampoos are harsh on the hair. Also, products with silicones coat the hair strands and the scalp. And every time I used a regular shampoo through the No-Poo (yes, I broke the no-poo rule while travelling in January 2020), my hair did not react to it well at all. If you are someone who has been off these sulphate laden shampoos, and then on some occasion are pushed to use a regular shampoo - you would know what I am talking about! My scalp was left coated with product build up in just one use! On day 2 after my shampoo, the scalp was itchy AF. And the hair - like they all of a sudden remembered what bad hair days look like! 


I went back to using products sometime around March 2020 when the lockdown began, due to unavailability of the herbs that I would usually use as hair cleansers. My hair started feeling clean and soft and it also smelled nice (after almost a year of smelling neutral through the NoPoo method). This is when I started the Curly Girl Method. I do not follow it to the T. I have altered the method in a manner that it suits me and my routine. 

I am listing down the products below that I have used through this lockdown and how they have been in my opinion. 

Again, as I have mentioned this before as well - everyone's body is different - and you must be sensitive to what your scalp and hair are taking to well. No two body's are the same. And what may work well for me, may or may not work well for you. So it's really a hit and trial. And for me, the journey is forever evolving, in understanding my body better. 


So here goes.. 



The Khadi Natural - Amla & Reetha hair cleanser 


They call this product a hair cleanser and not a hair shampoo, as the brand claims they use only and only natural ingredients. But from the way this foams up - I highly doubt it is all natural. And incase they do add sulphates to this product and have not mentioned it - that's something that's really not fair on their part.

But for now, even if we assume it is a sulphate free hair cleanser - my honest review about this specific product is that it leaves the scalp feeling clean on day 1. By day 2 the scalp feels ready for another wash. It most definitely leaves the hair shiney and clean. But I cannot help but compare it to their Green Apple Hair Cleanser that I used earlier this year - because that hair cleanser was damn good! And in comparison, this variant is something I would not buy again. 

I prefer the fragrance of the Green Apple variant over this one. 

How I use this product : I lather up a small quantity of this cleanser on my scalp ONLY. Not on my hair. Now, the thing to keep in mind here is - lesser product, more massaging. Don't rush through the massaging bit (spend 5-7minutes at it) - since that is the important bit to get all the dirt off from the scalp. Why I say no hair cleanser on the hair is because - the hair strands do not need major cleaning, water and the shampoo that will rinse through is enough (unless of course you have applied something like oil or a hair mask on the hair - then please go ahead and clean the hair as well). 

Apply some water to make the cleanser lather up well. But do not go overboard with using the product. 

Rinse off with warm water. End with cool water. 


I personally do not plan to buy this product again, will definitely buy the Green Apple hair Cleanser again and try their other variants instead. 



Resoul Fresh Me Up - Avacado Hairmask

I got this product very recently and have used it only 2 times. What I like about it is that it's all natural, it's a small-medium scale business and they claim each of their products are made with nothing but kitchen ingredients. 

This hair mask smells subtle but nice! I really really like the smell of it while it's on my hair. 

The jar is worth 900 rupees, the quantity is decent and it will last me a few months atleast! 


How I use this product : The first time I used this hair mask on damp hair. Later on I figured that that isn't the best thing to do with avacado hair masks, since the dampness makes it difficult for the product to seap into the hair shafts. The second time I used it on dry hair. I applied it mid length and downwards till the hair tips. Concentrating more on the tips since these tend to dry out. I try and keep this product away from my scalp as I do not like to weigh down my crown area with creams and oils. Once I have applied this to all my hair (hands in clapping hands or namaste hands position, I don't know how else to explain this, sorry πŸ˜‹ )..and then running the hands down from mid length to the tips - I then comb my hair with a wide teeth comb - so that the product spreads out evenly. After this you can also wrap a warm towel on your head. 

Keep the hair mask on for 30-40mins. The it off. Either with warm water only or then with a sulphate free hair shampoo. Do not forget to apply a conditioner after the shampoo! 



Khadi Natural Protein Hair Cream 


A budget friendly hair cream, smells nice - in a perfume-y way. The aroma is strong. Which again makes me wonder how natural Khadi's products really are. πŸ™„ I see a bunch of all natural ingredients on the back of the packaging - but I catch the smell of none of them in the product itself. It looks like delicious yogurt.. πŸ˜‹

To be honest, I have tried a few ways of using this product. And am yet to figure which way works best for me. Some people apply it after their hair wash. Some, before their hair wash. I am yet to understand what works best for me. 


How I am currently using it: 
After my hairwash and conditioning, I apply a generous amount of this product to my strands only while my hair is still damp. Mid length to ends. I do not like this product close to my scalp as it weighs down my hair from the crown area. Then i scrunch my hair. Followed by the application of homemade DIY  Flax Seed Gel (with praying, namaste hands again). Then I scrunch my hair again with an old Cotton tshirt, let them air dry after this. 

I use this once every 2weeks or so.. 




Raw NatΓΌre - Coconut & Pea Protein Shampoo


This one is a little out of my budget in all honesty. But that's how most fully, authentically organic products are priced these days. 

This shampoo smells organic for sure. If you are looking for a shampoo that smells delicious and fruity or floral - this isn't for you. But I love that the smell is subtle, organic, it's almost like you are smelling the earth and rain. I like how this leaves my hair feeling. Does not dry out the hair at all. And cleanses the scalp well ... I can manage pretty well with a twice a week hair shampoo with this product. 

 It is vegan and organic, it does have a foaming agent, but is mild. It will not entirely rip off all the natural oils from your scalp and hair. 


How I use it: 
Exactly how I use the Khadi hair cleanser. Less product. More massaging with finger tips (not the nails, please don't scratch you scalp). 




Wow Hair Conditioner - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil + Avacado Oil


My absolute favourite product for the end!! 

I love love love this conditioner from Day 1. It smells delicious. And I secretly wish to eat it up. The aroma of it is soft, coconutty, feminine and tropical. I really appreciate that it comes with the pump - making the application easy. 

This is one of the medium price range hair conditioners. It is curly girl method approved. It has no silicones and no parabens. I understood the meaning of none of this big, fancy terms up until I began using No Silicone Conditioners. Since once you go completely silicone free - you will realise just with one wash of a Silicone Conditioner - that they build up on the scalp and leave your head feeling like a Wax Museum. Lol. I don't know what I meant there. Basically the head feels really weighed down and waxy. 

How I use this product : 
I use this product each and everyyy time I clean my hair. I use it even on only water hair rinses. I apply it on my hair strands, away from the scalp with praying hands. Then i comb through my hair. Then scrunch. Scrunch. Scrunch. Then rinse out with cold water. But i do not wash it off 100%. I let 20% of the conditioner be there in my hair. Scrunch again. And again. And some more..

I then take an old Cotton t-shirt. Scrunch the hair with the tshirt. Repeat till the hair is damp, and not drippy wet. Then i plop my hair into the tshirt and wrap it up for 20mins. Then open up and let the hair air dry. 


I love this product and will buy it again and again. I cannot wait to try out the Wow Shampoo! 😍 



Last one.. 

Pantene Lively Clean

Only for when the scalp feels a little weighed down and like it needs a thorough cleanse..  I use this clarifying shampoo πŸ‘‡πŸ» .

I use this not more than once a month. Thus, I got the tiniest bottle. It was for 90 rupees I think and is easy on the pocket. 

It leaves the hair squeaky clean. But will most likely dry out your hair majorly if you start using this as a regular shampoo. It contains sulphates. And thus, I use it only when my hair feels weighed down with all the creams, conditioners and proteins. 


I really hope this helps you all!! Please do share your thoughts and comments below and let me know if you have any questions! 

Comments